Thursday, August 17, 2006

A new bookcase

We have ordered a new bookcase for our bedroom. A bigger one. Books are spilling out of the smallish one we have and are stacked in piles around it and around my bedside. I can let go of some books now at Bookmooch [ big decisions- which ones!] or at the booksale our ladies group has every spring but many I can't get rid of, either because I want to read them again, or because I haven't read them yet. Yes, my list of books to read is getting ever longer and the time I have for reading is shrinking. Presently I am reading three books - I am still dipping into the Lynne Truss Treasury ( this time it is the section "Making the Cat Laugh" her columns on being single, which are very good for just picking up and reading one or two with a chuckle before turning out the lights)- and I have started The Wreckage ( powerful opening) and enjoying Terry Pratchett's Small Gods (twisted humour- love it). All very different, although Truss and Pratchett are both funny. Think I am going to take a day off other activities to just sit in the garden and read. Haven't done that for ages. There is something exquisitely self indulgent in that.

No comments:

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
Dorothy Parker, Not So Deep as a Well (1937)