Monday, January 02, 2006

Hiatus

I've been away. Not physically but mentally away, distracted by other things and other thoughts than books and writing and perhaps that is a good thing. We all need a break from routine.


I have started the next book for our book circle - The Constant Gardener by John le Carre. The writing is good and I am noticeing how he handles things like introducing characters' appearances, and how he switches from one characters head to the next and even mixes them in the same sentence. This is a sensibility that comes from my efforts to write. I haven't read any le Carre for a long time so this is the first time I have read his stuff as a writer and not just a reader. Also I can see where he has got some of his ideas - the culture of NGO's, Princess Diana, terrorism, drug company lawsuiits - and how he has taken these elements from sources in the news and around us and made them his own.

No comments:

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
Dorothy Parker, Not So Deep as a Well (1937)