Friday, December 31, 2004

Write away

If only writing were as easy as reading. Have started Coastliners by Joanne Harris, author of Chocolat. Good story, interesting setting, descriptive without being too descriptive - you know when the author describes so much that the images in your head are constantly being challenged?

Someone said though- was it Stephen King?- that to be a writer you must be a reader so I guess I have a start. But I have two of the four difficulties described by Dorothea Brande. I am an "occasional writer" who "at wearisomely long intervals" comes up with something good which is as she says "hardly enough to satisfy either body or spirit" and I am also an "uneven" writer who sometimes writes a story so "drily and sparely that all its virtues are lost". So I have a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
Dorothy Parker, Not So Deep as a Well (1937)